Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy Birthday......

25 years ago, my oldest daughter (then 2 1/2) and I were watching The St. Patrick’s Day Parade on TV; 25 years ago, it was on a Saturday. I was pregnant with child number two. Somewhere around 11:00 AM, I felt a little "funny” nothing much just "funny". You see Daddy is a dentist, so we were called Saturday morning widows. (Nice, Huh?)
Daddy came home around 1;30 PM, we got ready and drove the 45 minutes to his folks house so Grammy and Grampy could watch #one while we went to the movies. Of course, it started to snow, not snow, BUT SNOW. I still felt funny but we went to the movie anyway. While in the movie the contractions started, they were about 8 minutes apart. I informed my husband and because #one took 27 hours, his answer” Can’t we stay and see the end?" that is what a man says to a woman in labor , with contractions, in a movie theater ,in a snow storm, 45 minutes away from the hospital!! Well, We did stay and we saw the end of "Splash"!!
Got back to his parents, asked if #one could sleep over and #two was born March 18th at 4:25 AM
Happy 25 Birthday Sweetie
We love you very much!
Love, Mom & Dad.

19 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! Hilarious to stay to see the end of the movie! LOL

    Happy birthday to Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your #2. Has she seen the film 'Splash'?! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got so nervous until I read the ending of the story.
    You are so brave :-)
    A very Happy Birthday to your sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was nervous for the end of the story too. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was worried for you. Wonderful story. Happy birthday to #2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story...happy birthday to #2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute story..happy birthday to your daughter. Aren't you glad you stayed to the end of the movie? You had plenty of time, and didn't have to waste your money. Besides..it made a cute story to tell your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story, Jane! Happy birthday to your #2!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister Diantha turns 14 today, too. My Mom joked that she had to miss St Patrick's Day so my (partly Irish) Dad wouldn't name the baby Patty. Diantha was born at 2:28 in the morning on the 18th after 28--thats right TWENTY-EIGHT minutes of labor on my Mom's part!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet story. Isn't that just like a man, my husband slept through my contractions....oh well....they will never know the joy of feeling a life form in their bodies....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday #2!! Great story! You know when my first was on the way, my hubby said something similar, several times. When the first contractions started coming, he said, "Do I have time to eat dinner?". Because they were coming irregularly, he later said "Do you think I have time to sleep for a while, it may be a long night?" I was thinking... for who? Then finally when I decided it was time to go to the hospital, he said "Are you sure?" Ha!!! Oh, then one last thing, on the way to the hospital at 1:30 am, I realized we had a boys name, but not a girls. I said to him we needed to decide as it was between two names, he replied "Oh we have plenty of time!" I hope this story made you laugh, it still makes me laugh to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story...happy Birthday #2!
    Glad you made it to the hospital OK after the movie...and DH got to see the end!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story...We celebrated a lot of birthdays this month.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes that was close! You made it to the hospital I assume?

    Gotta love birth stories like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very funny story. I had my son and his now wife meet on St. Patrick's day. I had met her and thought she would be perfect for him. When they met, he said"My mom says I am to ask you to marry me!" And they did!
    I love St. Patrick's day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. aaack! i'm sorry i'm a day late - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (good thinking in not naming your dear daughter 'splash' ☺)

    ReplyDelete
  17. GREAT STORY!!!! Men!! lol!! And what a wounderful memory. 'spash' - appropriate movie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet memory. It seems like these things happened to us really - just yesterday. You'll never see a rerun of Splash without some pangs of memory pain.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!