Monday, August 12, 2013

For The Love of Hand Embroidery--Guest Poster-Kris

Happy Monday to everyone! I hope you had a lovely weekend and did something you loved.
Today marks our first guest posted for
The Love Of Hand Embroidery.


I would love to welcome
Kris from Kris Loves Fabric.
Thank you so much Kris for sharing with us today.

Kris, take it away.....


Hi all, my name is Kris and I normally blog over at Krislovesfabric.blogspot.com.  I can’t tell you what a pleasure it is to guest post today on Jane’s blog…I have been enjoying following Jane for years and she is always inspiring me with her projects and I have been known to shop at her etsy store, as well.  She has been such a kind and generous friend, and is one of my favorite reasons to be a part of blogland. 

I must confess that I have never posted on someone else’s blog before!  Jane was so kind to gather up a group of us who are fans of hand embroidery…and fans of Presencia embroidery floss.  She sent us each a beautiful package of threads and organized this fun show and tell.
I volunteered to go as first guest post and Jane took me up on it so I am honored to start us off…

My project is a pincushion with some of my favorite tiny things…each of these four quadrants is 2 inches square if that gives you a better idea of the scale…tiny!




There are two spools of floss? Or thread? And two skeins of embroidery floss.  My apologies to Presencia not to depict a floss ball but when I stitched it - I thought my version looked like a yarn ball, lol!

The pattern for the pincushion, itself, comes from this wonderful book by Ayumi Takahashi…



 I added the freehand embroidery skeins and spools using the Presencia thread that Jane generously sent to me.  I was heavily influenced by Amy Powers who hosted a Flickr group called
a few years ago. It’s a loose and easy technique with parallel satin stitches built up to give a nice 3D effect.

The needle is there to make sure your eye can determine that yes, Kris means for this to be a sewing spool, in case it wasn’t obvious enough, I thought it was fun to “thread the needle” on this…



This is one of the floss skeins…my, those pins give you an idea of the scale, eh?



And here is the other…



And I certainly wouldn’t want to be without my yellow thread / floss…




I hope you enjoyed my pincushion project today and it gets you itchin to stitch with some Presencia of your own which I happen to know you can find in Jane’s shop!



Thank you  Jane for letting me post on your blog today, so good to try new things with friends!

*****************************

Just a little note from me, Jane.
Thank you so much Kris for being a guest today. Your post was wonderful and your pincushion darling. 

Thank you so much for this surprise that showed up in my mailbox. How did she know I like pink!
I even have pink pins to use!
I just love it!


To our readers. After you leave a comment, Kris will go back to her post and hit reply to answer any question you may have. So make sure to come back later in the day!


WOW, what an amazing start!  I really want to try the 3-D effect!

Happy Sewing!




47 comments:

  1. This is really cute! Thanks for sharing, Kris. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other guests have in store for us too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen...and yep, I look forward to the future posts too :)

      Delete
  2. A very cute pincushion. I think I would try to sew me one like that. Thank you Kris for sharing. I am looking forward to each Monday,finding what the embroideries the stitching ladies will make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I would love to see your version, I love your work so much :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your cute pincushion Kris...it has been a fun posy and great incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pincushion and what a nice surprise for Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That`s a cute pincushion! Nice embroidery. Thanks for sharing, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's too cute to be a pincushion! Loved your freehand spools and skeins! Thanks for sharing! And lucky Jane!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it was a fun project...easy and cute!

      Delete
  7. Kris, I'm always in awe of what you make...I love this little pin cushion and all those cute little stitchy things on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, it is a quick project, bet you could fit it in among the hops, lol!

      Delete
  8. What a cute idea for a pincushion and a beautiful job stitching. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, what a darling little pin cushion! Love the tiny embroideries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. both pincushions are so cute. Thanks for sharing Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie, I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your post!

      Delete
  11. Oh Kris, as I said in the post, thank you so much! What a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane for letting me play on your blog today :) and for such a generous group of threads to play with!

      Delete
  12. What a sweet pincushion! Your emb added so much to it!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love the looks of hand embroidery almost as much as I love the act of hand embroidery, so relaxing!

      Delete
  13. Oh, such a nice pincushion. :-)
    You did so well... looking forward to next Monday. This IS FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute. And what small scale work ...I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an easy technique, Tammy, hope you get a chance to try it...thanks for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  15. Great post Kris! Your work is excellent as usual, and now I know another way to thread a needle.....yes my old eyes are having trouble with that task.....:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, know what you mean...my reading glasses have become my sewing glasses...thank you for your kindness...always!

      Delete
  16. What a fun pincushion! Thanks so much for volunteering to be first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to do, glad you like :) Can't wait to see what everyone else dreams up!

      Delete
  17. Love both the pin cushions! I will admit the pink is my favorite. I sure hope I get my project done on time and my computer back from the shop so I will be ready to post my project. So glad I asked for later next month.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pincushions are like fabric...you can never have too many/much!! Yours is just adorable. I'm really impressed by how small your needle/thread/skeins are; your stitching is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, these are darling. Love the little details that warm my heart

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much ladies! These were great fun to make!

      Delete
  19. The pin cushions are adorable Kris! I only found them today, I have been a bit preoccupied this week. Is that a blue pin cushion I see on your blog? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but it's a greenish blue coordinating with AMH prints...thanks for stopping by Linda!

      Delete
  20. So adorable and creative! Your pincushion is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. absolutely darling pincushions!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!