Wednesday, June 25, 2014

So Basting....Part Two

First thank you so much for all your suggestions and tips. They we all very helpful! Fusible Batting, Spray Basting, board method,  use large tables and a few sent links to this binder method.


After viewing this video I decided to try binder clips.
Off to Staples to buy clips, $4, not bad at all!  

I set up my banquet table and well would't you know it, the clips would not fit on the edges of the ding dong table!  Hmm, what to do?  Try card tables, no the pins would rip the tops. Try an old kitchen counter, too wide a lip.  My kitchen table, perfect size, no would scratch it.
Hey a hollow door! 
 So off my hubby took me to the hardware store.  Here I told the man what I wanted to do and, by golly, he did not even blink an eye. He said he has heard it all!  He led us to the hollow doors, I took out my clip and the ding, dong door was too wide.  With his help he sent us to get a piece of plywood 3/4 inches thick. I saw a beautiful piece of birch, nice and smooth so no splinters. They even cut it to the size I needed.  In the car we went and back home to set up the banquet table which is 30 X 72.  We placed the board on top which I had them cut at 34 X 76, so it would hang over and I could clip the clips.

It worked!!
It really works!

There were two things I did that were different than the video.  I did not use the sticks and I started at one end horizontal and one end vertical so I could really clip the backing.
But do as she says and clip each layer one at a time.  There is a lot of walking and clipping but there is no crawling and no wrinkles.



Sorry blurry, but you get the idea.


See the clips!



That bowl of pins is now empty and my fingers hurt!
It is a small price to pay for a perfectly basted quilt.

Off to dinner we went to celebrate our 37 year anniversary.  Happy Sewing!



18 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that you solved your problem. And Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this method works, I was already thinking of trying it next time I need to baste, now I definitely will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius idea for basting! Thanks for sharing it. I couldn't figure out what it was you did different from the sticks though. I so love that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing this, I think I'll try it next time I need to baste. I spy some fabrics you used in our friendship blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To save your fingers, use a grapefruit spoon to close the pins. Do by section...put in pins...then close them up using the jagged edge of the spoon. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!
    Great idea using the door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary! Glad you figured out how to baste your quilt so you don't have back problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you enjoyed the experience! Now I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy you found the perfect solution, with the aid of 'The Helpful Hardware Man'. Don't know if you remember the Ace Hardware commercial where that line originated, but you may be too young. I just love your quilt top and the colors you used. Is that the pattern you were searching for some time ago? If so, I may have to make one myself, because yours' turned out so well. Have a good day and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary!! One suggestion... buy some cheap stick on floor tiles and put them on the door! The pins will tear up the wood and it will begin to snag!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane, so sorry I didn't make clearer that I use the plastic clamps from the woodworking dept at Lowes instead of binder clips. They are very cheap. My husband got a huge bag of different sizes for less than $10. Glad you found a remedy for your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on 37 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks yo for sharing your process with us. So now will you hand sew along all those blue lines???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happiest of anniversaries to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! Love that quilt btw. There is a pinning tool you can get that makes pinning so much easier. Here's a link of one for sale at Amazon just so you can see what it looks like. It makes all the difference! http://tinyurl.com/qx3vnvx Your hubs is very cool! XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad you were successful and happy anniversary to you and the hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first attempt at this and I had the same problem. The lip of the counter was too wide. Never thought of a hollow door but the 3/8th board was the answer!! I will definitely have to try this. Was it expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm thrilled to read how well it worked! I have a baby quilt to baste and I'm following in your footsteps and trying this method.
    I use a grapefruit spoon to close safety pins - it does help to save your fingers

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!