Monday, November 18, 2013

For The Love of Hand Embroidery-Guest Poster-Carrie

Happy Monday to everyone. 
 I hope you had a nice weekend and did something you loved.
On to our next guest for
The Love of Hand Embroidery.


Today
I would like to welcome
Carrie who blogs at


Hello everyone. My name is Carrie P. My blog is called A Passion for Applique. apassionforapplique.blogspot.com/ Jane and I started blogging the same year. I am not sure how we found each others blog but I have been reading her blog ever since. I have participated in a couple of swaps with Jane too. Maybe one day we will actually get to meet in person.
When Jane put out the call for those who love to embroider I responded quickly. I didn't even know what it was all going to be about but I knew it would be fun. I have always enjoyed handwork. Like many of the guests I was taught by my grandma to embroider. It is something that has always been near and dear to my heart because every time I do some embroidery it reminds of the time I spent with my grandma.
So back to Jane. She emailed me back and said she would love for me to participate in the guest posts. To my surprise she sent me some of the Presencia Finca perle cotton size 12. You can see all the cotton threads on Jane's web site. When I received the threads in the mail I wanted to find a pattern where I could use every single color she sent me. I dug through my patterns. I found this one by Michelle May of The Raspberry Rabbits

I will probably sound like a broken record because many of the other guests have said the same thing. One of the first things I noticed while using this thread was that it did not twist or make knots. This is very important when making French knots. There is nothing worse than trying to make a French knot and the thread makes a knot before you get the thread pulled through.

If you are new to embroidery or any kind of hand work where you might use these threads I highly recommend them. 




  
Once I finished my little quilt I had thread left over. So what else should I embroider? I had this free bunny pattern from Bustle and Sew.   I fused her little dress on and embroidered the rest. I used the blue and purple thread to embroider the jump rope. One of my new favorite ways to mount embroidery these days is in a wooden hoop. This one I covered with blue twill tape.



I still had more thread left. I have been wanting to make this little Christmas design.http://stripedfeatherco.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-embroidery.html   It's not to early to be thinking about Christmas, you know! This is also mounted in a wooden hoop covered in pink ribbon. 

If you are still afraid to try some embroidery you might want to check out the link on Jane's left hand side bar for Mary Corbet's Needle and Thread site. Mary has some great tutorials.
Thanks Jane for letting me be a part of these fine group of embroiderers. It has been fun to see what everyone has chosen to make with their Presencia perle cotton. I hope you have been inspired by all the guests to try a new hobby.
With Passion,
Carrie P.

To our readers.  After you leave your comment, Carrie will come back to her post and hit reply to answer your comments and questions. So make sure to come back later in the day!


Thank you so much Carrie!  Yes, you and I have been blog buddies for years  Now that I think about it I have no idea how we "met"!  But it would be wonderful to meet in real life. 
What many readers must know is that you are a very accomplished applique artist.  Now they will know how wonderful you are with embroidery. I just love your projects. Several years ago Carrie sent me a tea towel with a cute Christmas Design. I still put it up every year. Now look at what this sweetie sent me.




 This will also be treasured and put up every year! 
 Pink twill tape! I love it, thank you.

Thank you for being a guest today.


PS  Presencia Thread is a $1.00 in my
Stock up for the holidays


45 comments:

  1. All the projects are so sweet - I love the little pieces in the wrapped hoops, that is something I must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, just think of all the possibilities for the hoops. have fun

      Delete
  2. All such wonderful projects! I have that bunny embroidery- I think i need to get it out and make one- too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, it was fun working on the bunny.

      Delete
  3. Delightful guest post, Carrie. My, you have been busy! Michelle's stichery came out so cute. Love the stitchery in the hoop. A quick and easy idea for some last minute Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much.
      yes, the hoops make fun gifts. think of all the fun things you could put in the hoops.

      Delete
  4. Carrie , your projects are beautiful . I really love the sampler , I had not seen this pattern by Michelle , it is adorable and you did a lovely job . Really cute idea to use the hoops to display the sweet embroideries , I may have to try that . Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Sheila. Michelle does the cutest pattern. I made several of them.

      Delete
  5. Carrie, I love your stitching. What a cute pattern by Michelle too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work Carrie - as usual! Love the hoop idea. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marlene, I have other ideas to put in some hoops too.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous projects Carrie. Love the jump roping bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work Carrie! I think that bunny is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely embroidery work! The Sampler is my favorite and the Christmas design is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you stopped by today. thanks for your very kind comment.

      Delete
  10. Fun! I will have to borrow your little bunny idea. It would be perfect for my friend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome. I made the little bunny for a gift too.

      Delete
  11. Great projects Carrie! Michelle May's home sweet home piece is stitched perfectly and I love the border you put around it.

    Thanks to Jane for featuring our friend Carrie!

    Now...to check out those threads :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jeanna.
      you will love the threads if you buy them.

      Delete
  12. What beautiful work you do! Love the little "sampler"! This thread is the BEST! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, yes, I agree, the thread is the best.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. oh, you are sweet to say that. thanks.

      Delete
  14. Your stitcheries are wonderful Carrie!!! Thanks so much for sharing the joy with us :*)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Each project just keeps getting cuter... I really love the patchwork edging on the Christmas stitchery. It adds such a sweet touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, bloggers are so nice to share free patterns.

      Delete
  16. Love your embroidery Carrie! I'll have to give that thread a try.

    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Kelly! you won't regret giving the thread a try.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for sharing your embroidery with us. It's neat to see the revival of the hoops for displaying art. I loved the embroidered work designed by Michelle. I'm totally fascinated by it. I love french knots so your nosegay of blooms was precious. Loved the scalloped framing you did; was that part of the design or your addition? Do you have instructions on the process of the scallops or can you direct me to a website? I'd love to do that on a hand-embroidered project I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks LJ. I love French knots too. The scalloped frame my something I decided to do on my project.
      I am actually going to do a tutorial on my blog soon. I hope to get it written by this weekend.

      Delete
    2. Great! I follow you so I'll be watching. Thanks.

      Delete
    3. the tutorial is up if you would like to see it.

      Delete
  18. Coming by late this week but wanted to let you know how wonderful your projects are. You stitching is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your work is beautiful! I especially like your idea for the bunny. Great combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much. the hoops are so much fun to use. you can dress them up in so many different kinds of ribbons.

      Delete
  20. Love, love, love the home sweet home Carrie. And thanks do much for the scallop border tutorial on your blog. Your work is just beautiful! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are very welcome. I appreciate your very nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  22. such beautiful work, I love the one by Michelle - was it a freebie?

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!