Monday, November 4, 2013

For The Love of Hand Embroidery-Guest Poster-Sheila

Happy Monday to everyone. 
 I hope you had a nice weekend and did something you loved.

Today on our schedule is Sandra
but unfortunately Sandra fell and broke her arm!
We all wish her the best and she says, 
she will be back!

Sheila who was scheduled for next Monday volunteered to post early.
Thank you Sheila !



Today
I would like to welcome
Sheila who blogs at

Sheila's Quilt World

 Some time ago Jane asked for volunteers who would be interested in sharing their love for Embroidery and in doing so we would be given some of her lovely Presencia threads to use for our projects.  I was very quick to respond as I love to embroider , I am not overly skilled and my library of stitches is quite small but I still love taking thread and needle in hand and creating something I love or I can give as a gift to family and friends.   I received some threads in the mail which took a slight beating from the machines in the post office and they took a while getting here but when they did I went to work and started first on this handbag . I had wanted to make this pattern for quite a while so this was the perfect opportunity to not only make this pattern but try the Presencia threads for the first time , I can tell you they are by far the best threads I have ever worked with , they guide through without tangles and breaking of threads , wow I was impressed. The pattern for the bag is by Crab- Apple Hill and is called Posy Pocket hand bag. 


Now I didn't want to stop with this project I wanted to see what else these threads could make so my love of postcards came next . I am a huge fan of the designs created by Kaaren of the Painted Quilt and had printed off her spring sampler so I took just one section of that design and enlarged it just enough to fill a postcard and then started stitching , what fun that was and I love this card . Thanks Kaaren for such a sweet design , I may just have to stitch the rest of this sampler ;-)  



 I then took part in a pincushion blog hop with Madame Samm and for one of my pincushions I finished off a UFO which is this round crazypatch pincushion also a design by Kaaren, told you she is talented , I had made the base as in Kaaren's directions and done some embroidery but most of the embroidery I added was done with the Presencia threads , as I said I had done some previously but very little so I added little bits of embroidery and wool pieces held down with these threads and I am pleased with the results. 


Did I have all the threads used now ? No not quite so I traced off this Christmas pattern that I have done a few times before and set my needle to fabric and most but not quite all are Presencia threads , I knew I did not have time to order more threads so I had to finish off with other thread I had on hand and it is then you realize the difference. This sweet little snowman pattern is by This and That and is called Snow much fun . 


Thanks to Jane for inviting me here today and also for sending me some sample threads I have really enjoyed using them . If you are interested Jane sells these threads in her shop , you won't be disappointed I promise . If you have not tried embroidery or have not done any in a long time it might be a nice idea to purchase some threads and start stitching , it is very relaxing and the possibilities are endless .  


Sheila 



To our readers.  After you leave your comment, Sheila will come back to her post and hit reply to answer your comments and questions. So make sure to come back later in the day!


Thank you so much Sheila!  You need to give yourself credit, you know a lot about embroidery!  I love your bag, it is so pretty.  I agree with you Kaaren has wonderful patterns.  I have wanted to try a post card but I am nervous about sending it in the mail! Love your pincushion and "Frosty" is all ready for this year. Thank you so much for sharing with us today.



PS  Presencia Thread is a $1.00 in my
Stock up for the holidays



34 comments:

  1. I love Kaaren's patterns too - make for lovely stitching. The bag is very sweet - many lovely projects and thank you for sharing and stepping up early to bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon , I really enjoyed using these threads , it made my work go so much better . Kaaren is a very talented lady and I love using her designs.

      Delete
  2. Lovely and adorable work. All of them are actually very fabulous. I like the bag the most though. It inspired me to make my own. Hope mine will be as good. :)
    - BuzzTools.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel , so happy I was an inspiration , have fun making your bag.

      Delete
  3. Sheila your projects are all so sweet! I especially love the bag and that beautiful postcard, it looks very familiar! Your pincushion is so pretty...great use of stitches. The thread sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley , I love this bag too , it is a great pattern . I wonder why the postcard looks familiar , can't imagine ;-) enjoy your visit to the shop today .

      Delete
  4. You did well with your projects. :-)
    The snowman is just too cute..
    I loved to use the thread as well.
    Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inga , they were very enjoyable projects using these threads .

      Delete
  5. Wonderful projects Sheila!!! You can tell that you enjoy doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marjorie , I really do love to embroider , so very relaxing :-)

      Delete
  6. WOW! Shelia, you embroidered up a storm. :0) Love all your projects especially the pin cushion. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie , I do love to embroider so it was not difficult to dig right in ;-)

      Delete
  7. Your embroidery is wonderful! Your bag is so cute and I love the postcard. How did you colour in the leaves and flower petals? I will have to try the Presencia thread. Great post! hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda , I used my trusty crayons to colour the leaves and petals , I find it adds so much more dimension . You will love the Presencia Threads , they are wonderful:-)

      Delete
  8. Sheila your projects are all just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much , I enjoyed each of them :-)

      Delete
  9. Sheila these are all beautiful. Your hand stitching is gorgeous. Love your review of the Presencia threads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy , I really enjoyed each of these projects and the Prescencia threads really were lovely to work with :-)

      Delete
  10. Those are wonderful projects and the threads look wonderful in them. I like the idea of using them in crazy quilting.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie , I so find these threads have a nice sheen that shows up well in projects .

      Delete
  11. Great job Sheila! I really like that bag, and you know I love your postcards. I don't think I've used that thread before, so I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Sunny , I really like the bag too , it is a great pattern , I made one in wool as well. I couldn't resist doing a postcard and using my crayons to fill in the embroidery . You should give the threads a try , you won't be disappointed:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful projects Sheila!!

    Sandra~ hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sandie , I enjoyed making these projects :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanette , I appreciate you coming by for a visit . Hugs Sheila

      Delete
  16. Sheila's stitching looks beautiful. I love all of the flowers and the snowman and pincushion are super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna , I enjoyed each of these projects and the threads made the work very easy :-)

      Delete
  17. Really love the projects you made for the hop. I'm flower-crazy so your designs were perfect. Thank you helping Jane and Sheila out this week. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed your post, Sheila! You've had busy fingers! Kaaren's designs are always lovely, but with your magic touch, they came out just beautiful. The bag is adorable! I just don't know how you find the time to create so many pretties. Am preparing my next embroidery project today, so perhaps I'll wait on beginning the stitching until I can get some new thread and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely work Sheila - you have found some interesting designs there. The threads sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful embroidery projects. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!