Monday, October 28, 2013

For The Love of Hand Embroidery-Guest Poster-Rosemary

Happy Monday to everyone. 
 I hope you had a nice weekend and did something you loved.
On to our next guest for
The Love of Hand Embroidery.


Today


I would like to welcome
Rosemary who blogs as
tich
at



Hi! My name is Rosemary, and I blog as tich at http://islandhamecrafts.blogspot.com/. I originally come from Glasgow in Scotland, but for the last six years I have lived on a remote island, within the Orkney archipelago. There are about five hundred people, three shops, two hotels and a school on the island, and about once every six weeks my husband and I take a ninety minute ferry ride to go to Orkney Mainland to do a supermarket shop.


One of our beaches

I was tickled pink, when Jane invited me to take part in the hand embroidery challenge. I had never seen Presencia thread, so I was really interested to see how it would perform. My package of threads arrived, and I was really taken with the colours.


I was supposed to find an embroidery pattern and duly embroider it, but, as my friends know, I like to make life difficult for myself, so I set the following challenges –
 I could only use the Presencia thread
 I could only use the colours Jane so kindly sent me
 I had to use my own designs
 and I had to use as much of the thread as I possibly could!
- I know, I am nuts!!

Designs - Being a Glaswegian, I immediately thought of Rennie Macintosh and the ‘Glasgow Rose.’ I sketched out some roses and then came up with the following designs, which I thought I would use in different ways -


Bookcover


Needlecase


Pincushion


Coaster (not a Glasgow rose in sight!)

Book Cover I had this wonderful glitzy material, which I have been saving for something special, and the bookcover came into this category exactly.



 I transferred the design onto white cotton, and embroidered it using the Presencia threads.


Design in Hoop

This is the first time I have tried these threads, and they are so good! There is no fraying, tangling or breaking. My kind of thread! I made the book cover, and then applied the embroidered design the front.



I thought the front needed a little more pizzazz, so I added some embellishments and declared it finished!!




Needlecase Yet again, I had a lovely piece of silk that had been languishing in the drawer for years. It was begging me to be used! I transferred the needle case design onto white cotton, and used the Presencia threads from Jane with some beads – just to add a little glitz!!




I put pure wool pages in to hold the needles, as our salty air makes my needles and pins rust. I named each page for the different needles I use and decorated each one with different beads. 




I have six different pages in all. I love it, and I haven’t stopped using it, since I made it!

Pincushion -The pincushion was quick and fun to make, I transferred the design, embroidered it and applied the wool shapes, inserted lace before I sewed the top and bottom together, turned right side out and stuffed with woolly fleece, which came off my own sheep. The lanolin in the wool stops the pins rusting.




After the pincushion, I was a bit fed up with the Glasgow rose, but I still had thread left, so I experimented with some of the wool I dyed myself (those sheep come in useful, and they taste good too!). I needle-felted the wool onto a felt background, trying to depict what our bay looks like during a windy night at sunset. I embroidered some grasses and local wild flowers, which can be seen everywhere. This was my first try at this and I would not say it was brilliant. The embroidery sank into the wool, but I liked the process, so I am going to keep trying.




Coaster – By this time some of Jane’s threads were either finished or extremely low, so the coaster was the final project. I wanted to do a free embroidery, so I cut the basket and the flowers out of wool, and then just let my needle do what it wanted on the background of cream wool. It was great fun and I definitely want to do more of these.


 The. cream wool was appliquéd to pink wool, using a running stitch, and this in turn was applied to a .3mm thick piece of wool, which had been scalloped.




I liked this so much, I made two fridge magnets to match -



I want to thank Jane for giving me the opportunity to do this. I had a great time designing these projects, but I also got the chance of trying to use Presencia threads, and I can thoroughly recommend them to you. I wanted a challenge, and I definitely feel Jane made me think of new designs and new ways to do them. I have linked to Jane’s shop, so you can go yourself to see all the wonderful colours of Presencia thread. I did not use difficult stitches in any of the projects – straight stitch, lazy daisy, backstitch, whipped backstitch, buttonhole stitch, French knots and threaded backstitch. Why don’t you have a go. It is great fun and so relaxing!
Till next time

tich

To our readers.  After you leave your comment, Rosemary will come back to her post and hit reply to answer your comments and questions. So make sure to come back later in the day!


Roaemary thank you so much for sharing with us today. I love your work! Wow, where to start! The idea of how you challenged yourself was brilliant  That is something I would like to try. Here in Illinois we have no sheep near, what an idea, I hope you play around with that more. Thank you for playing and for your inspiration. 
PS I would never put a glass on that coaster!



PS  Presencia Thread is a $1.00 in my
Stock up for the holidays




34 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!! Just love the way you challenged yourself and just all wonderful projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really enjoyed the challenge.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your embroidery work is 'to die for'! Good thing Jane didn't send you double the amount of thread! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept on thinking of different things I could do and different stitches I could try. The threads were great to work with.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful projects! You certainly gave us a variety of beautiful projects to admire. I especially love the needle keep...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the needle case and the coaster best of all. I have been using the needle case all the time, since I made it, as I kept on misplacing my needles. the coaster is nicer in reality.

      Delete
  4. tich, your projects are beautiful! I just love the variety. Your hand dyed wool is incredible. Thank you so much for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We have a few sheep (as well as chickens, ducks etc.), so there is always plenty of wool. It is not good for knitting, but I make felt and weave with it (or try to!)

      Delete
  5. Lovely projects, I really like the coaster! So many projects, I only managed to get one done for my week! I need to make myself a needle case, I made all my friends one a couple of years ago and never managed one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am see a lot of pincushions, needle cases and coasters in my future. Isn't it amazing we never make anything for ourselves!

      Delete
  6. Tich not only are all your embroideries gorgeous, but where you live looks like heaven! I would love to live on an island! Want to adopt me? That wool felted piece is great. I think the best pincushions are the ones that are stuffed with wool because the pins and needles love it and condition the pins too. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our island is gorgeous in good weather, but we get a lot of high winds and in winter the storms can be quite frightening. That is why I enjoy making things. I cuddle up inside, safe and warm and sew to my hearts content.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful place to live and be inspired. I can imagine it is hard to get supplies where you live, but I love how you created your own designs and use what you have on hand.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supplies can be a problem, so thank goodness for the Internet. My husband and I have learned to use what we have, since coming here and it is amazing what you can adapt.

      Delete
  8. What an interesting place you live. WOW! you are so creative and your projects show off the thread so well. Looks like you had lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had great fun thinking up different projects and the thread was brilliant - no fraying or tangling.

      Delete
  9. You did such a wonderful job with your projects! The embellishments are beautiful. I love your coasters and flowers and sand beaches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I get a lot of inspiration from walking along the beach, or just looking out the window.

      Delete
  10. Love your embroidery, just beautiful stitches!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the compliments.

      Delete
  11. Absolutely beautiful! Your work is "delicious"!! Thank you for sharing everything - including where you live! Love, love, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We are so lucky to be living where we are. I give thanks every day.

      Delete
  12. Amazing and clever designs. Just beautiful. Your pinnie is delightful and the scalloped edge is fab. You completely met your challenge and then some!! Glad you included a pic of your island. It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyn. This is a new beach to us and it is breathtaking.

      Delete
  13. Wowza! Fabulous creations! Your stitching is absolutely stunning! I never heard of the place you live, so I'm going to have to do a Google search to learn more about it. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Sanday, which is one of the more remote islands in Orkney, off the north coast of Scotland. I am having fun meeting lots of new people through this hop,

      Delete
  14. I love all of your projects , my favorite would be the needle felting , something I really want to try . Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful work .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it was all that brilliant, but I learnt a lot. I dyed the wool with Kool Aid in a slow cooker.

      Delete
  15. Where you live sounds so beautiful! I love the challenges you set for yourself and the many pieces you got finished. They are so lovely. That felted wool piece is stunning and I'd love to see more of that type of embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I must admit where I live is inspiring and helps me design.

      Delete
  16. Love the needle case!!! Glad I found your post here! Lovely stuff!!! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I want to do more with the embroidery and beading.

      Delete
  17. Hola soy Carmen, de Barcelona. Me han gustado estos bordados, he tomado nota para hacerlos. Gracias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, Carmen. Muchas gracias. Me alegro te gusten.

      Delete

I always love to hear your thoughts!