Monday, September 9, 2013

For The Love of Hand Embroidery-Guest Poster-Kiera

Happy Monday to everyone. 
 I hope you had a nice weekend and did something you loved.
On to our next guest for
The Love of Hand Embroidery.


Today
I would like to welcome
Kiera who blogs at
Thank you so much for sharing with us today.


Hi everyone!  I'm Kiera and I blog over at Sew Very Kiki.  I'm so excited to be able to share my embroidery projects with you and so thankful to Jane for asking me to join in.  I had never worked with Presencia before and was eager to try it.

My love of hand embroidery started at my mother's knee.  She kept all of her flosses in an old Christmas Cookie tin.  Oh how I loved to just go through that tin and play with all the beautiful colors.  She taught me all the basics...stem stitches, french knots, lazy daisy.  And mom always pointed out that the back of my work should look as good as the front!  Her handwork graced our home in the forms of pillowcases, doilies, tablecloths and so much more.  How I wish I had some of those pieces now.

For my project I decided to make a couple of tea towels.  We recently moved into a new home and I wanted something to spruce up the kitchen with.  I found some patterns that I thought looked kind of vintage and stitched away. 

The towel with the rooster in in honor of my Mom and all she taught me.  She collected roosters, so when I saw the pattern I knew I would have to make it!


Presecia was a dream to work with and was colorfast when I washed the towels.



I'm on the lookout now for more vintage patterns to stitch!

To our readers.  After you leave your comment, Kiers will come back to her post and hit reply to answer your comments and questions. So make sure to come back later in the day!

Thank you Kiera, I still have my grandmother's floss tin.
I love your tea towels, they are just darling. Thank you again for sharing.



22 comments:

  1. Lovely work, I really like the old fashion look to your towels, they remind me of my grandmother. :) I also remember her keeping threads in a old fruit cake tin, she said that was the only thing a fruit cake was good for :0

    Robin in Washington State
    Who loves fruit cake by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Robin. I really wanted a vintage lookfor the towels.

      Delete
  2. Lovely old patterns.I like them.
    And the thread is a dream to work with. I agree. :-)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Inga. I'll be working more with those threads for sure!

      Delete
  3. Love the pattern. Vintage is so cozy. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tea towels. Vintage is my favorite types of stitching. Reminds me of my childhood. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda. Vintage is my favorite too...reminds me of my mom.

      Delete
  5. Those tea towels are so sweet. Vintage embroidery is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I agree...vintage is best!

      Delete
  6. Lovely tea towels. Vintage embroidery reminds me of my grandmothers who both did beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam. I think that's why I like vintage so much...reminds me of my mom.

      Delete
  7. Lovely tea towels , I also love vintage embroidery and my mom also taught me to embroider as her mother did for her . Thanks for sharing your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. What a gift to have our mother's teach us this beautiful skill.

      Delete
  8. They are so dainty looking... love your choice of colors.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those vintage embroidery patterns are so cute. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie. I'm always on the look out for more vintage patterns!

      Delete
  10. I, too, learned hand embroidery from my mom. The vintage-looking designs are the ones I always find so sweet. I haven't tried out the Presencia threads I ordered from Jane but I'm pumped because everyone says they are 'the best'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always drawn to vintage embroidery....probably because of the wonderful memories

      Delete
  11. Fabulous hand stitchery. What wonderful memories of the floss tin. My mom had a huge button tin that was my favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I wish I had that old tin of my moms! It was so full of thread goodness!

      Delete

I always love to hear your thoughts!