Monday, September 30, 2013

For The Love of Hand Embroidery-Guest Poster-Brenda

Happy Monday to everyone. 
 I hope you had a nice weekend and did something you loved.
On to our next guest for
The Love of Hand Embroidery.


Today
I would like to welcome
Brenda who blogs at

Good Morning, I am Brenda and I blog at Ladybug Dreams. http://brtowsleyblogs.blogspot.com/
I am excited to have been invited by Jane to guest post here at Jane's Fabrics and Quilts blog.  This is the first time I have written a guest post so I will try not to ramble too much. 

I learned to embroidery when I was a girl.  My mother taught me the basic stitches and from there I learned any new stitches from books.  I stitched many samplers and counted cross stitch pictures in my 30's but just recently got back into hand embroidery in the past couple of years.  It quickly came back to me how much I love embroidery and have been adding it to quilt blocks and pillow tops.



For my project I went to my Pinterest board ( http://www.pinterest.com/brendatowsley/hand-stitching/for Hand Stitching to pick out the design I wanted to use for this project.  I found the perfect free design from Bobby Socks Quilt Company.

The next step was to pick the thread colors I was going to use from the samples that Jane sent along with other Presencia threads that I already had on hand.


I really love using these threads they come in such pretty colors and do not tangle while stitching with them.  I was able to  pick colors that matched the MaryJane Glamping fabric that I was using to finish my project.


I stitched the design on flour sack cloth with a light weight fusible interfacing backing it.


Next I bordered it with the mini charm pack squares and some yardage.



After getting the top put together I decided it needed a little something more and did a running stitch along the edge of the flour sack fabric.



I used the same fabric that I used on the side boarders to make the pillow back, this is my favorite from the line, I love red!




I have enjoyed seeing everyone's projects that have been posting in Jane's "For the Love of Hand Embroidery" series.   I hope you will all come over to Ladybug Dreams to see some of the other embroidery and quilting projects that I have shared on my blog and I wish you all a wonderful week. 


To our readers.  After you leave your comment, Brenda will come back to her post and hit reply to answer your comments and questions. So make sure to come back later in the day!


Brenda thank you so much for sharing with us today. I just love that fabric line and I have that camper on my to do list. Thank you for the inspiration to get started!  


PS  Presencia Thread is on sale in my
Stock up for the holidays


38 comments:

  1. Love it! The embroidery design is great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita! I had pinned that design months ago and was just waiting for a chance to use it.

      Delete
  2. I love that little camper embroidery design, and have wanted to do it also. Great idea to put it in a pillow, and the companion fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nedra! I am waiting for the perfect Glamper to use it in. Maybe next summer.

      Delete
  3. Lovely camper you made. :-)
    Would have fitted perfect with the embroidery I will show you on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I will be over to take a look on Thursday! I was so glad to put those colors together.

      Delete
  4. So Cute. I love the vintage patterns but have such a hard time finding them. This one I must do for my camper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I have put the horse before the cart. I don't have the camper yet but am making and collecting things that I want for one.

      Delete
  5. Darling embroidery and that is such cute fabric. Together it is the perfect pair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous project Brenda! I love how you stictched your combination together so perfectly. It will make you smile every time you see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. I was worried it would not all come together since I usually use patterns to put things together with. It does make me smile!

      Delete
  7. Hi Brenda!!! What a delight to be a guest blogger :) I love this little project and just printed my own to work on.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly girl! I've missed you! Thanks so much, I was really a wreck thinking I would not be any good at this guest blogging thing. You will have fun picking our your colors for it!

      Delete
  8. What a fun little project you shared. I am now following your pinterest board. Such fun links you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie! I do not think I will ever have enough time to try everything I pin. But it is great to go find something when I am ready for a new project!

      Delete
  9. This is really fun, love the stitchery to match the fabrics.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Debbie. I know don't you love it when color comes together like that. Does not always work out this well.

      Delete
  10. Cute! I did that pattern too but in redwork. Beautiful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not decide if I wanted to try redwork or do it in color. I think that was what the pattern was for and I thought about it but the other colors won out! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I love redwork! I bet it looked great.

      Delete
  11. Really lovely work, Brenda. That running stitch was just the thing to set off the embroidery. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LJ! I thought that was what it needed.

      Delete
  12. Thank you! My goodness everyone is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet design and I love those fabrics , thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, the fabric came before the choice of design or thread.

      Delete
  14. Very fun idea! It would be perfect in the camper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandie that is why I picked both the fabric and stitching design. I have a wish for my very own glamper so I have picked out the colors I want to put in it when i finally score!

      Delete
  15. It looks great..I almost did this little camper too...I have a friend who loves vintage campers so...may still have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be fun for a gift! There are some other campers patterns out there that are for sale, thinking I need to make a quilt next for my Glamper to be!

      Delete
  16. Aww, that's such a cute camper! Love that red fabric too!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!