Monday, September 16, 2013

For The Love of Hand Embroidery-Guest Poster-Daryl

Happy Monday to everyone. 
 I hope you had a nice weekend and did something you loved.
On to our next guest for
The Love of Hand Embroidery.


Today
I would like to welcome
Daryl who blogs at
Thank you so much for sharing with us today.


Hello, I am Daryl and I blog at Patchouli Moon Studio. I am one of the volunteers that Jane asked to embroider something using Presencia perle cotton in size 12, that Jane provided. I found a design that I had wanted to embroider and I colored it first using crayons and then did the embroidery. Then I made the embroidery into a zippered bag.

Some things that I do when I embroider by hand is to iron a fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric before I start the embroidery. Whisper Weft is a good one to use, but if I don't have any on hand I will use any light weight fusible interfacing. This helps to both stabilize the fabric while stitching and helps to hide the threads. I personally do not use an embroidery hoop.

Here is my embroidered zippered bag~


I actually chose the border and backing fabric for this bag after I did the embroidery. I found a small piece of this fabric in my pile of pink fabrics and it was just the perfect choice not only because of the colors, but the flowers in the embroidery look a lot like the flowers in the print fabric. 

I quilted the bag too.



Back of the bag. I love how this fabric goes so well with the embroidery.



A closer look.





I had leftover Presencia thread, so I decided to embroider the stacking teacups design. Instead of coloring with crayons, this time I used watercolor pencils to color the teacups before I did the embroidery. I used a little water on a paintbrush and then dabbed the paintbrush on the pencil and painted it on the fabric. I added a fabric border and then decided to turn this into a large pincushion. I filled the pincushion with crushed walnut shells to weigh it down and keep it in place. 


Thanks Jane for letting me be a guest on your blog and share my embroidered creations with you and your readers.

To our readers.  After you leave your comment, Daryl will come back to her post and hit reply to answer your comments and questions. So make sure to come back later in the day!

Thank you Daryl, These are new to me techniques and cannot wait to try them!





45 comments:

  1. Oh, I have used the girl design before with the water color pencils - just lovely. And your fabrics really do compliment the design and colors. I prefer to use the crayon method because you can blend colors better. Thank you for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment. This was s fun embroidery to work on.

      Delete
  2. Both these projects are gorgeous! Love how the crayons and watercolour pencils were used to colour the designs. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesley for your sweet comment. I had fun making these.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful stitching, Daryl! Love the girl and the fabrics in the pouch. I always back my stitching too.... makes it a little harder to needle, but the neatness on the front makes it worth it. Cute stack of cups too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie for your nice comment. Whisper Weft interfacing is a bit easier to needle through because it has a looseness to it.

      Delete
  4. I love both of these projects so much, they are great ideas, BEAUTIFULLY done and the small touches of added color only enhance the "fun quality" of the design. I wish I had your ability to know how to choose just the right colors and how much is the correct amount of embellishment. Its easy to over do and take a project over the top, you always manage to get the balance just right.
    well done
    tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara my friend for your wonderful comments. As always I appreciate your comments so much.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for such a great lesson, I have never used anything on the back and stabilizing it sounds so great. Your two projects are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I could share what I do. It works well for me, but you need to try using Whisper Weft interfacing to see if you like it too. I appreciate your comment about my work.

      Delete
  6. Very pretty projects, thanks for sharing them with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love they way you have used crayons and watercolor pencils with your embroidery. I never would have known to use them. Also I didn't know to used a stabilizer before embroidering. Thanks so much for sharing these great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love they way you have used crayons and watercolor pencils with your embroidery. I never would have known to use them. Also I didn't know to used a stabilizer before embroidering. Thanks so much for sharing these great projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna for your nice comment. Using a stabilizer like whisper Weft is a personal think. Try it and see if you like it. I don't use a hoop, so having a stabilizer works for me.

      Delete
  9. Great projects Daryl , I also love to use crayons and pencils to add color to embroidery . Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Glad you enjoyed my projects.

      Delete
  10. Such fun projects you made. I love them both. I like to use crayons when I embroider too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie for your nice comment. Crayons do add more color and enhance the stitches.

      Delete
  11. Love the embroidery, especially with the crayons :) very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daryl, That is an Awesome bag ! I love the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Vickie, I appreciate your sweet comment.

      Delete
  13. What a sweet pincushion and bag Daryl!
    You never cease to amaze me:) Have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two very cool items Daryl! Your stitches are simply perfect! Thanks for the fusible interfacing tip. I'll be certain to try it.

    And thanks to Jane for having you as a guest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanna for your sweet comment. Yes please try the interfacing and see if you like it.

      Delete
  15. Well done Daryl!!!!!You zippered bag is just BEAUTIFUL. I love the idea of using crayons, have to try this, your work is amazing :)Marisa from
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marisa for your wonderful comment! Glad you like my zippered bag.

      Delete
  16. Wow, wonderful work, absoutely perfect!
    Daryl you are very talented!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Bente

    ReplyDelete
  17. How pretty. Love your projects. And you are right that floral print matches the design very very well. Thank you for shareing your projects with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Tammy. Glad you like my embroidered projects.

      Delete
  18. What a gorgeous bag! Your stitching is gorgeous and colors just perfect. I really like the bag's style as well. Another project well done by a great fabric artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I made up the bag shape, and I thought I would have more of the border showing on the front, but once it was put together it changed the look. At first I didn't like it and now it's grown on me.

      Delete
  19. Both of the designs you chose are so sweet and the embroidery turned out perfectly. The shape of the bag was unusual and I did wonder what your plans were for it's use. I have just begun a hand embroidery project - my first in years - and am enjoying the process. Thanks to Jane for encouraging me/us to get out needle and thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LJ. I am using the bag to hold my small embroidery project, which I started years ago. I made up the bag shape and it turned out a bit different than I had hoped for. I like it more now than I did when I first made it.

      Delete
  20. I am not a hand stitcher but I admire it so much. I love the shape of the zippy pouch and the Southwestern flair to your design. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie. I live in the Southwest and thought it would be nice to make something that represented where I live. I made up the bag shape and it turned out a bit differently than I had imagined, but I like it now. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  21. WOW! Daryl:) your bag with the embroidery is absolutely beautiful. i also loved the fabric of choice. I'm now off to check out more projects here:)
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Norma for your wonderful comment as always.

      Delete
  22. I'm a follower of Daryl's blog and she always amazes me with her be beautiful work and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful work! I have never seen the techniques you use, but they sure add a lot to your creations! Thanks for teaching us a new way of doing adding color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! I am glad you enjoyed my embroidery creations and I am happy to share a few tips too.

      Delete

I always love to hear your thoughts!