Monday, August 19, 2013

For The Love of Hand Embroidery--Guest Poster-Bea

Happy Monday to everyone! I hope you had a lovely weekend and did something you loved.
On to our next guest for
The Love Of Hand Embroidery.



Today 
I would love to welcome
Bea from  Beaquilter
Thank you so much Bea for sharing with us today.



Hi,
I'm SEW excited to be a guest blogger here on Jane's blog.
I'm Bea from www.beaquilter.com
I was thrilled when Jane posted about this embroidery project and I signed up right away!
And then got these LOVELY embroidery threads in a mail soon after that.

I then started looking online and on pinterest and found THIS cute owl file
I printed it and traced onto white kona cotton and got to work!
Here’s a picture of it half way done




And here it’s all done, it was about 9” of fabric (I trimmed down
to 8 ½” later)



While I was embroidering the owls I wanted to STOCK UP on more threads and of course I ordered from JANE. I LOVE that the spools are small – I had bought some red and black a while ago but they were 10g each where these are 5g, so I ordered one of each of the colors she sent. Here’s the numbers in case you want to duplicate what I did J
4636 green, 4368 dk green, 3400 blue, 3810 lg blue, 1062 yellow, 2621 purple, 1729 pink, 1307 skin, 1163 red, 7944 lg brown, 8080 brown






Now WHAT did I turn the block into?? A QUILT of course! It’s baby sized at 36” x 44”



Now WHAT am I going to embroider next? I think I got the BUG…. Uhh so many designs out there.
Thanks again to Jane for letting me guest post here and thanks for the embroidery floss!
Bea



To our readers. After you leave a comment, Bea will go back to her post and hit reply to answer any questions you may have. So make sure to come back later in the day!


Thank you Bea, I had no idea Owls could be so cute!

38 comments:

  1. Soooo cute. I love owls, and I even have an owl that Bea made for me. I have just a little experience with embroidery, so this pattern is far too difficult for me just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta try it! Jane's threads are great! and you're great at handwork with your hexies :) PROV DET PROV DET

      Delete
  2. Nice job, those owls are such cuties :) Thanks for the stitchy inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! you should try them, they were SEW much fun.

      Delete
  3. Love this, Bea and Jane! I have always liked owls and I'm happy, happy, happy that they are back in style!!! Great job, Bea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BACK in style??? oh wait.... don't tell me... from the 70s? I'm having childhood flashbacks now of a brown macrame owl... LOL
      I LOVE owls too :)

      Delete
  4. Adorable owls Bea, love the quilt you have made using this embroidery .

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute and it doesn't surprise me one single bit the theme of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really?? you weren't shocked?? you should try it!

      Delete
  6. the owls are so cute and what a great quilt you made! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really cute and fun way to use the threads.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it.... addicted now, already have another project started

      Delete
  8. Adorable owls Bea! I love the baby quilt too~ great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, figured I needed something instead of a pin cushion

      Delete
  9. Oh Bea, thank you so much for being a guest! Your Owl's are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I started something new the other day too, inspired by my recent trip!

      Delete
  10. Very cute! I love owls. I don't know how you do all you do :) Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! it's called "ignore housework" LOL then you get stuff done :)

      Delete
  11. Those are very cute and look wonderful in your quilt! I really like this thread as well. It doesn't knot or snag like others I have used. I need to get some of that pretty blue you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Jane can surely help you out there ;)

      Delete
  12. Your owls are so cute! I also like the thread and Jane sent us so many pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! it was fun to play with, but I just HAD to have more

      Delete
  13. I love owls and embroidery and yours is so very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should download that page and do it! it's a hoot

      Delete
  14. Love your embroidery Bea! Did you back the Kona fabric with any sort of stabilizer?

    Thanks for having Bea as a guest Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No actually I didn't, should I have? maybe AFTER the embroidery?

      Delete
  15. Very cute!! I just love the owls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! Your stitching is so perfect. How big (or tiny) are your stitches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I couldn't tell you, less than 1/4" but I found that when I do the "back" stitch to meet with a prev stitch I HAVE to hit the same hole, it looks best that way :)
      maybe they are 1/8"

      Delete
  17. Love those adorable owl eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love hand embroidered Pieces. I just am soooo not good at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes practice, get books for the library and look at pictures...... I just figured the TIP of ending a stitch EXACTLY the same space as where the prev one began, is a HUGE difference. (I think it's called chain stitch?)

      Delete

I always love to hear your thoughts!